Nothing in life prepares a father for the marriage of a daughter. Not the night feedings and hours of rocking, not countless little songs, the giggling at jokes or tickles; not the construction of doll homes, the flying of kites, hoops in the driveway, the first boyfriend; not the handing of car keys, the sorority move, the permanent job offer - nothing. In fact, it is quite the contrary. All of these things together with a lifetime of precious moments and all of a daughter’s endearing qualities combine together with a father’s natural love to transform his role from simply her daddy into her teacher, comforter, provider, and protector - her watchman.Nor too does anything in life prepare the father of a daughter to accept, trust and love a son-in-law. The life of a watchman seems to shield against this. And yet it has happened – Saturday. On a small rise of earth in a clearing of cedar and fir overlooking the grounds of a little winery in Redmond, Washington I watched with beaming pride as my dearest Jenna Marie West accepted the hand in marriage of the love of her life, Matthew Golz. May God watch over them and keep them safe and happy, all the days of their lives.
With that wish, and without tears or regret, the watchman sleeps. Still, I can’t help but feel like I’ve given away one of the few things that I need to survive. And deep in my proud and contented heart I know that I can never want it back.
No comments:
Post a Comment