18 April 2012

Endeavor

Well, I’m a grandfather - really! I wonder when I’ll get used to that. Do you suppose that it is something you become spontaneously with a birthing? Or is it more something you grow into – gradually through parenthood? I suppose maybe both.

Grandfathers are older folks - way older than parents. They have a notable stature and a graying of hair. Grandfathers smell more of cologne than sweat and sit in more shade than sun. They move slower and remain calmer than other adults.

Grandfathers are very polite. They talk softly and speak kindly of grandmothers and parents. And they love their grandchildren all the same but each seems in their own way to be a favorite.  Grandfathers always laugh at jokes and smile a lot. Grandfathers are proud and seldom get angry. They see the good in bad, the joy in sadness and success in failure.

Grandfathers never tire of watching children and dogs and they like to share candy and eat ice cream. They share everything and like all of the same things as children. Grandfathers have plenty of patience. And they are thoughtful and wise. They are full of fun in busy times and have calming words in slower, sleepy times.

But mostly I think Grandfathers have time. They have time to give, time to share, time to wait and time to teach. Time is probably what I think grandfathers have the most of and I pray that much of it can be spent together.

I hope I can be remembered for living up to all that...as did my grandfather. It is to become a lifelong endeavor.

...and I hope that he's watching.
 
2012
 
1958

No comments:

Post a Comment