19 December 2008

It's a Boy!

I’ve never really dreamed of saying that…”It’s a Boy!” And as the father of three daughters I’m often asked if I wished that we would have tried one more time for a son. And my answer has always been the same…we were never “trying” for anything in particular. In fact, knowing now the precious nature of each of our daughters, had we been trying, I hope that we would have been trying for girls…perhaps we were.

That being said after nearly twenty-five years of fatherhood, and with little effort on my part, it looks as if we may finally begin buying a few boy toys. And Denise and I are indescribably thrilled about that. On September 19, 2009, exactly nine months from today, my male kindred will be delivered in the form of a son-in-law as our eldest daughter Jenna has pledged to wed Matthew Golz in a ceremony in Seattle. I couldn’t be happier for them both, nor more proud as the father of this future bride.

The news came to Denise and me a week ago. And although I remain somewhat guilt ridden, Jenna and Matt claim to laugh as they recall Jenna’s first sharing of engagement news with her parents.

We were at the “after party” following my office’s Christmas dinner when my cell phone rang. Habitually since our daughters were quite young, I’ve kept my cell phone close in the event that they need me. Fathers love that feeling of “needy children”…at least I do. And I hope it’s of some comfort to them to know that their “help line” is open 24/7. But I digress…my cell phone rang. Stepping outside to escape the clatter of the Holiday cheer, I remember the conversation verbatim:

Me: “Hello?”
Jenna: “Hey Dad”.
Me: “JENNA! Hey, what are you up to?”
Jenna: "Oh, I don’t know, what are two you doing?”
Me: "We’re at my office Christmas party and I just stepped outside to answer the phone. "
Jenna: “Is Mom right there?”
Me: "No, she’s inside. What’s up?”
Jenna: “Matt and…”
Santa Claus: “Ho-Ho-Ho. Merry Christmas.”
Me: (No words just dead air on the phone as I instinctively lowered the phone from my ear and tried to register the reality of a Santa Claus approaching up the drive in the cold of the night.)
Jenna: "Dad?'
Santa: "Ho-Ho-HO!'
Me: “Chuck?" (Chuck Olson is my jolly neighbor who's currently dressed in a Santa suit)
Santa: "Ho-Ho-HOOO!"
Me: "Chuck? What are you doing here?"
Jenna: "Dad?"
Santa: "Ho-Ho-HOOO! Merry Christmas!"
Me: "Jenna, Santa’s here...gotta go.” CLICK.
Santa: "Ho-Ho-HOOO!"
Me: "Santa, you should probably go inside."
Santa: "Merry Christmas!"

Yes, I had just unwittingly hung up on my daughter during perhaps the most important phone call of her adult life. Doah!

A few minutes later I again stepped outside and returned Jenna’s call.

Me: “Jenna, sorry about that. What was it you called about?”

The balance of our conversation was predictably joyous and befitting the great news and the holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment