14 February 2011

Valentine

Sometimes,
All I need is the air that I breathe -
And to love you.
-Albert Hammond

If I had a dream of my future I’d dream of a chair – a worn leather chair in a warm cozy room with a little hearth and a big window that opened up to a view of the city. And beyond the window would stand an old street lamp that would light up the still of the night and whatever the changing seasons would bring. The light in the air would show soft drizzling rain or the falling of snow and would faithfully shine through all but the thickest blankets of fog.

And in this dream of my future I’d stroll down my street in the crisp morning air. And there a young mother would be escorting her most precious little treasure to school. The older would speak words of encouragement and confidence as the younger would dodge cracks in the walk in her warm woolen jacket. And while eyeing the hat on the passing old man the younger would listen.

And with habitual practice I'd sit at the corner cafe', people inside and out, some busy some not, all coming and going on paths toward eventual futures. And in time I’d lend ear to familiar accord from the table next - dreamers both. They’d utter things now foreseen to enrich the city and better the lives of those who passed along and within her outstretched arms. And their words would be right and wrong but they’d carry me away through their dreams back into my own and then they’d be gone.

And as moon replaced sun in my dream of the future I'd duck down my street and into a pub. There I'd sip on a pint and listen and learn and give and receive so much with so many. And nearby me my dream would place pupil with scholar who'd voice tales of fun and frolic and travel and guests and the toiling of work and of school time teachings. And I'd hear as they spoke with such passion for others as could ever be imagined. They’d share gifts of their day and I’d think of my own and of all of the rest.

And this day would end as the others before; back in my room with my chair and my hearth - and with her. She's the one whom I’ve known and have loved so much and have shown too little. It's with her I've discerned all my thoughts and ambitions through all that we've seen and have faithfuly shared for nearly all of the days of our lives.

We'd continue this dream of the future together. And recalling the people therein we'd reflect on the souls of our children so eagerly seen in those of this day – not each being one but each being all.

And we'd want for nothing...

No comments:

Post a Comment