The flight was uneventful except for the occasional turbulence as I passed over the Rocky Mountains on the ascent from Denver. As I, or more accurately, the plane and I, approached the Cascades I began to realize the potential significance of the rendezvous that awaited me. Perhaps temporary, perhaps not, but in either case, a meeting such as this is always significant. God, Mt. Rainier was stunning!
Then there was MG…my first “real” encounter. At our “actual” first, he was simply one of several brief handshakes with a group of J’s friends during a previous visit to Seattle and prior to his current elevated status in my daughter’s young heart. A worthy enough looking young man for J but the bar has been purposefully and permanently placed rather high. We’ll see.
His task had been simple enough. He was to seek out an establishment with Guinness on tap…no bottles. And a hearty Irish atmosphere would be a plus although he was unaware of this secret expectation. And it would have to be within close proximity of the airport so we could enjoy a couple of pints prior to our timely return to SeaTac for the arrival of a flight carrying Denise and K and Denise’s parents. We had a two hour widow and MG confidently sized up the challenge ahead and “approached the bar”.
Mick Kelly’s Irish Pub is in Burien, Washington and is located a mere 4 miles from SeaTac. J, MG and I were seated in shade outside the front of the pub. The tree-lined street and adjacent small shops gave the impression of a rather quaint neighborhood despite its proximity to the airport. That proximity after all was by necessity. The pints arrived, amply chilled in traditional Guinness branded tulip glasses. Within the confines of the tulip was the unmistakable surge and settle goodness of my favorite beverage. And on top, the obligatory shamrock artistically placed within the creamy head by an excellent barkeep as he concluded the draw.
Although Guinness Extra Stout is the namesake brew originated by Arthur Guinness in 1759, today Ireland’s most popular beverage is Guinness Draught. It made its debut two hundred years later when I was 6-months old. Who would have thought we would eventually grow so close. True to their advertised claims, the draught “incorporates a unique mix of nitrogen and carbon dioxide creating its liquid swirl that tumbles, surges and gradually separates into a black body and smooth creamy head”.
Upon our eventual downing of several pints of heaven we prepared to depart. As I awaited the check, I was informed by MG that our debt had been satisfied and that it was his pleasure. The "pleasure" as it were would be mostly mine as I was later informed that MG was not naturally of the Guinness-loving persuasion. Ahh...strike 1. Then as we returned to the car, I noticed MG grinning and holding out a box procured privately in the pub…a box for me. The contents included six clean tulip pint glasses bearing the Guinness brand. Hmmm…Strike notwithstanding, MG “approaches the bar” indeed!
Then off we were to the airport and the arrival of the balance of the “judges”. Upon complete assembly of our party, we proceed 20 miles east to Issaquah, Washington to see MG’s townhome and to prepare ourselves for an evening of acquaintances.


The next day began with a tour of J’s apartment near Lynnwood. Then we set off for a brief view of J's office in Everett and then on to a glorious day filled with sightseeing.
The lighthouse was built by German Architect Carl Leick in 1906. It was constructed of fir wood at a cost of $27,000. The 38 foot tower has a lantern room fully enclosed by glass and was originally vented to accommodate the smoke and fumes from the open lantern flame. Its Fresnel sextagon shaped lens rotated by means of a clockwork weight and pulley system. It required winding every three hours. The flash was at five second intervals. The small sectional prismatic lenses through which the light passed increased its strength to about 7,000 candle power. An oil lamp on the Fourth Order lens required refilling every three hours and used approximately 243 gallons of coal oil per year. A Cunningham eight foot diaphragm foghorn was operated by two air compressors. The foghorn was shaped like a giant trumpet and protruded out the back wall of the lighthouse. It sounded a four second blast every 16 seconds. There was a windmill powered water tower with oil and coal storage rooms beneath. It also served as living quarters for two keepers. 

Wow! Can't say how honored I am to have made the cut for your "go live" offering! Here's hoping I can keep meeting the ever increasing bar.
ReplyDeleteThough if it keeps going up, I fear I'll only keep up asymptotically (love that word!) getting closer and closer without ever actually reaching it, though that's probably by design...
Wonderful site Milton!